Friday, January 18, 2008

Tonight: chick-un wings; Tomorrow: seitan

One thing I actually really, really miss (don't tell) is chicken wings. I don't miss the gnawing on the bone of a chicken bit. But, I do miss the spicy, sweet ooey gooey-ness of a little chewy morsel smothered in wing sauce dipped in ranch and finished with finger-licking. Yum. So, tonight I am going to attempt seitan chicken wings with tofu ranch. Super vegan, super healthy (well, comparatively!)

It will be a combination of a number of recipes. I will post my recipe now (ever the optimist) and the results tomorrow!

Tasty Seitan Wings:
One 8oz package of store bought seitan
1/3 c. plain soymilk (vitasoy)
1/3 c. whole wheat flour (to be healthy)
1/2 t. salt
2 t. dried thyme
1 t. paprika (might go with smoked)
1 t. fresh ground pepper
1/2 t. garlic powder
2/3 c. Panko bread crumbs (the big Japanese ones)

Sauce:
1/3 Earth Balance Margarine (or any vegan margarine)
2/3 c. Frank's Hot Sauce (if you can't get Frank's or want to make your own try 1/4 c. tomato sauce, 1 1/2 T. chili powder, 1 t. cayenne pepper)

Tofu Ranch:
1 packet Hidden Valley Ranch seasoning
1 package of extra firm silken tofu (10.5 oz like mori-nu)
1 T canola oil (evoo will work in a pinch)
2 t fresh squeezed lemon juice
2 t apple cider vinegar
1 t sweetener (maple syrup, agave nectar, sugar substitute of your choice)
1/2 t salt

Directions: food process all of the above until creamy and delicious.

Add crisp cold celery sticks and extra hot sauce on the side for a true Wing experience!

This better be as good as I think it is going to be. I just drooled on myself.

Tomorrow I am making dinner for a vegan friend and semi-vegetarian friend. All vegan of course! The dish is from Isa Chandra (of PPK and Vegan with a Vengence fame) and is called Seitan Portobello Stroganoff. I am making the seitan from scratch. I will post the recipes and my experience with them this weekend!

No comments: