Monday, February 25, 2008

Perfect Guacamole.

Perfect guac is about one thing and one thing only – perfectly ripe avocados. The rest is up to your liking…and here’s what I put in mine. People like it, you will to.

2 perfectly ripe avocados (reserve one pit) peeled and diced (you know it’s ripe if the skin is nearing black and it gives just slightly when you press on the outside – too much and it’s already bitter and stringy inside – gross)
1 c great chopped tomato (finding a good tomato in Florida is laughable – but I buy ugly ripe and they’re pretty good)
¼ to ½ c chopped white onion (or red or white – up to you)
Juice from one small lime or half a large lime
1-2 cloves of garlic, pressed
1 t salt
1 t fresh ground pepper
1 t chili powder (maybe a little more)
1 jalapeno seeded (careful – wear gloves) and finely chopped (only if you want the guac hot – I usually don’t have one on hand and thus leave this out)

Ironically (considering my LOVE of all things Mexican), I am not a huge cilantro fan, so I leave it out. But a T chopped would be nice. And many folks like creamy guac, and sometimes so do I, in which case I add a T of vegannaise or a T of faux sour cream.

Eat with a spoon, or heap on enchiladas, or buy salty chips and order a margarita…and I could go on forever.

And, if you happen to have any left over, take that pit I had you reserve and stick it down in the guac before sealing it and sticking it in the fridge - this will keep it from going brown and getting yucky too fast. Or, if you ate it all, try to grow a guacamole plant or something:)

No comments: