Friday, February 29, 2008

Raw Onion Bread.

Raw onion bread happens to be vegan, though it's more of a raw-foodie thing than a vegan thing. But, I love it. And I even bought a dehydrator to make it in. I first had this at Grass Root (fave restaurant ever!) And since it’s leap year I thought I’d do a special post. Adapted from Gone Raw's recipe. So here it goes:

Ingredients:
2 large sweet onions (can use yellow or Spanish, but they are too strong for me)
2 cups of milled or crushed seeds (any combination of flax seed, sunflower seed, pumpkin seed – or really any other nut or seed) I use 1 c golden flax and 1 c sunflower (both raw and processed into a fine powder in my coffee grinder)
1/4 c cold pressed oil of your choice
1/4 c cold water
2 T soy sauce (or Braggs Liquid Aminos)
Spices (optional – I grind some fresh pepper and sometimes add oregano or rosemary – just a T or so)

Chop the onions in a food processor (the more you process them the harder the batter is to work with but the more malleable the finished “bread” will be).
Grind your seeds up (a very dry blender works okay, but a coffee grinder is seriously worth the 19 bucks if you do this more than a couple of times).
Mix everything with a hard big spatula in a big mixing bowl.
Spread onto a few levels of a dehydrator (I have a cheap-o round American Harvest and I only have one tray with a liner – so I line two more trays with wax paper and lightly oil it and this works fine).
Dehydrate at 100 degrees for 24 hours. Yes, it is supposed to make your house smell like one big fried onion. I think it’s lovely. Some people don’t.
After 24 hours you can flip the bread over (peel the wax paper off those layers if you have a dehydrator like mine) and then dehydrate as many more hours as you need to get the consistency you are looking for. I generally only do it for another 6 or 8 hours…but if you want a more cracker-like finished product it may take up to 48 hours.

Delish as sandwich bread with hummus and avocado and tomato and sprouts. It’s really amazing. If you happen to have a dehydrator or don’t mind dropped 50 bucks, it’s so worth making!

No comments: